Has your dog run into a skunk? The odor form a skunk is a very unpleasant one and you might be panicking but you can get the fouls smell off of your dog. Here’s a few tricks to get skunk smell off your dog. You can buy specific products at the store for this but when your dog is already covered in the skunk odor you want to get this off quickly. Here’s how to do this at home.
Your First Step
Get to your dog quickly after the animal has been sprayed by the skunk. You want to get the skunk smell out of the coat quickly before it has a chance to dry as it will be difficult to remove once it has dried. The odor will go away eventually on its own but this could take weeks and it’s not a very pleasant thing to be around. If your dog has longer hair the smell will return if you’re pet gets wet.
You will want to change into old clothes and get set to wash your dog. You’ll also want to use a pair of gloves. Make sure you contain the so so the animal can’t get not your home or you’ll have skunk smell everywhere.
Use about two teaspoons of dishwashing liquid and about ¼ cups of baking soda. You also want to add two pints of hydrogen peroxide to a basin. If your dog is large just double this amount. You can sue your outdoor hose to get the dog wet and then work in the shampoo you have created with the ingredients. You may want to use a sponge or other items to help you shampoo the dog. Make sure you do a good job so you get all of the skunk smell out of the dog. The baking soda may fizz a bit but this is normal and not something to be alarmed about. Make sure you avoid the nose and the eyes of your dog while washing.
Leave this on your dog for about 5 minutes. You’ll have to hold or otherwise restrain your dog from moving around during this time. You will have to use a couple of applications to get out all the skunk smell. Just keep shampooing you don’t want the dog to dry off.
The mixture will leave the coat of your dog quite stiff so you’ll want to use a crème style rinse to restore the dog’s coat. You can do this about a week after you have removed the skunk smell from your dog. If you do it right away it’s not going to work that well, you have to wait several days before you work on your dog’s coat.
See a vet if your dog seems to be having problems after being sprayed with the skunk. You might want to call if you can’t get the skunk smell out or see your local pet store for some advice.
Leave a comment
Top 10 Popular Products
- MDK9 Dog Haus : Modern Dog House with Name Plaque and Custom Dog Bedding
- Vittles Vault Stackable Pet Food Container Keeps Pet Food Fresh and Dry Without Nasty Plastic Smell
- Modern Bloq Pet Bed Doubles as Side Table by Binq Design
- Catissa Geobed : Modern Wooden Geometric Cat House
- Hamish McBeth Savile Row Leather Dog Collars
- Modern Native American Teepee Cardboard Cat House Doubles As Attractive Home Accessory
- Arm’s Reach Co-Sleeper Duplex Pet Bunk Bed Provides The Same Comfort as Your Bed to Your Furry...
- Samsung Smart Dog House for $30,000
- Slo-Bowls : Slow Feeders for Dogs
- EcoSphere Closed Aquatic Ecosystem : Self-Sustaining and Self-Container Miniature World in Your Envi...
- Design and Concept
- Fish and Aquatic Pets
- Other News
- Product Reviews
- Rabbits and Guinea Pigs
- Reptiles & Amphibians
- Small Pets